www.spilledmilkphotography.com

January 7, 2009

[best] of 2008

This has been a very exciting year for me. I took a huge leap of faith and turned my favourite obsession hobby into a business. I'm so honoured that each and every one of my new clients was willing to work with me as I learn and grow as a photographer and as a businesswoman - especially those of you from my early sessions when I still didn't quite know what I was doing.

Actually, I still don't always feel like I know what I'm doing, but I'm excited to keep learning and getting better!

As I begin this new year, I am determined to be a success through hard work and a genuine love for what I do. Every photography session I do is a huge rush of adrenaline for me. I get excited about capturing both the big smiles and the tender moments. I especially love the click of camera when I know I've just caught a winner. I feel the energy of the emotion or the love that I've captured and I don't even need to look at the screen to know it will be a special image.

So thank you to all of my clients from this past year. It was a pleasure working with you and I hope I get the opportunity to capture more wonderful memories with you in the future.

Now what would be a post without photos?

Here are my favourite photos from this year. I've notice I gravitate towards the images that capture a particular emotion or feeling for me.

When photographing children and babies I especially love the shots that convey a feeling of pure beauty and simple innocence. It's usually found in sparkling eyes and smooth, soft skin on chubby little cheeks...

I also love to catch genuine smiles. People often feel very insecure or reserved when a camera is pointed at them, so it's always a great moment when my clients are able to let their inner light shine through with a sparkle in their eye and a real, true smile...

Even better for me than a great smile is a hearty laugh! They're an elusive animal, but if the tone is set and my camera is ready I can sometimes catch one...

And wherever there is laughter, there is usually togetherness. Moments of closeness between people is something I strive to capture with my photography. I'm passionate about portraying relationships between families and friends and find myself smiling when I manage to capture moments of togetherness like these...

I also strive to capture the essence of relationships with candid images conveying pure tenderness. Quiet moments, gentle kisses or loving looks between a mother and child simply melt my heart...

And finally... where there is beauty and innocence and genuine smiles and hearty laughter and togetherness and tenderness... there is always LOVE...

... lots and lots of LOVE...

I LOVE to photograph LOVE!

And if you've made it this far, thank you for visiting my blog. I look forward to the coming year and wish all of you a healthy, happy and prosperous 2009.

With much love,

xo Carolyn

ps - for those of you not familiar with online blogs... did you know you can leave a comment for me after each post? Feel free to do so by clicking on CLICK HERE TO SHARE SOME LOVE just below. You can always leave a comment anonymously if you don't want to sign up for a blogger account, although I'd love to know how you are... so don't forget to sign your name if you leave a comment without signing up. Be sure to tell me what you think of the new and improved larger photos on my blog and, of course, I'm sure my clients would love to hear how gorgeous you think they all are! So don't be shy... leave a comment today.


5 comments:

Sarah said...

Congratulations on a great 2008, from a lurker :)
You have really taken some fantastic photos. My husband has this as a hobby (see robpannell.com for his blog and some of his pictures) but I can see the huge leap of faith that you've had to take to make this a business.
Wishing you every piece of luck and blessing for 2009 :) (I just wish you were in England...)

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

I really am quite, quite envious you know! I can only dream about having half your talent. But then maybe if I got out more with the camera it would help!

Happy New Year my friend, may 2009 take you onward and upward!

Irene said...

I just know 2009 will be an amazing year for you - I almost wish I could fast forward and see just HOW successful you will be.

As always, amazing photos!!! And yes, it doesn't hurt that you have absolutely gorgeous subjects!!!!

Corey~living and loving said...

Great post! You got some wonderful ones. :) I smiled the whole way through. You must be so very proud.

Jan said...

What a gorgeous display of love for sure Carolyn. Fantastic picks for 2008. Can't wait for the 2009. You are getting so good. Especially at capturing a real thought provoking and caring picture. Very well thought out.

This is beyond fantastic and I bet beyond belief at times. So happy for you.